Monday, December 25, 2006

We Are Marshall

Lots of football, lots of crying.

Oh boy, was this movie sad. Of course, I knew it would be sad but I thought it would be balanced with uplifting. It was, just barely. Many touching and funny moments and a bizarre, but I thought charming, performance by Matthew McConeghy. Wasted towering talents (yet again) of David Strathairn and the dude from Deadwood (Ian McShane). Matthew Fox was ok, not great, but I'm not crazy about him anyway. And the women...what women? This is a football movie.

The football part is pretty good. I liked that part a lot. And it was easier to take than in other sports films where the outcome of the game has to move the plot. In this case, "based on real life" meant they could tell the story and not have the chance event of a game outcome be the mover of the plot. That made me like it more.

No comments: