Saturday, February 03, 2007

Notes On A Scandal (2006)

This film had some chilling moments. Judi Dench was wonderful in that severe, imperious way of hers. Bill Nighy was wasted, but good whenever he was on screen. Cate Blanchett practically glowed in this picture. Her fatal flaw, I think, was being a little stupid. Maybe self-absorbed? Or stupid because she was self-absorbed? Something like that. I didn't find this a very deep film, but neither was it pretentious. I wouldn't want to see it again, but I liked it a lot more than I expected. The acting was great, especially because we Americans love to watch the way the Brits do it. The substance of the film was week, though. Not bad, not great, not a classic.

3 comments:

venus & mars said...

glad you like the way us brits do it and it is a richard eyre/patrick marber offering, but lest we forget cate is australian! (even though we would be proud to call her a national treasure as she is lovely!)

Jamy said...

I don't know if I prefer the way the Brits do it, but Americans generally seem fascinated by the British style of acting. And, yes, you're right about Cate, that completely slipped my mind. Maybe she's a wannabe Brit?

Anonymous said...

I just saw this movie a week ago. Yes, Ms. Blanchett's character was extremely self-absorbed, and I was surprised that her husband took her back, especially as she'd seemingly not undergone any type of counseling afterwards (after her having "robbed the pram" so to speak)

I was disappointed in fact, in the ending, however recent surveys by Harris Interactive show that men are more forgiving after partners infidelities are made know, so maybe the ending is reality-based.

To me, though it also seemed to send the message that if you are blond and beautiful (as Ms. Blanchett clearly is) you can get away with almost anything, and that it will be forgiven.

(as written by someone planning to dye her hair blond in the near future :)