Saturday, January 27, 2007

Pan's Labyrinth (2006)

A surprisingly enjoyable film. Don't be fooled by the preview--it's in Spanish, with subtitles, though I don't think that detracts at all from the film. The cinematography is luscious and eerie, bizarre and fantastical. The story is grim and sad and totally engaging. You don't need to separate fantasy from reality--it's just as enjoyable to watch not knowing where the boundaries are. It makes the incredibly sad ending a bit easier to take than it would be otherwise. The fantasy softens the blow.

I didn't realize until later that the sadistic military man in the center of the picture is the usually handsome and charming Sergi López. He transforms into an ugly man for this role. That's pretty good acting.

3 comments:

Kris said...

I heart this beautiful movie. I totally think it got robbed when it came to Best Foreign Film for th Oscars.

Anonymous said...

Loved it. It doesn't detract from the film, but I was caught by surprise by the subtitles. I always feel like you miss something too in the translation (saying this because I'm trilingual, but don't know any Spanish, sadly).

The girl in the main role is adorable too.

Anonymous said...

The writer/director, Guillermo del Toro, wrote the subtitles himself. So you can rest assured that you're getting the best translation possible. This was without question my favorite movie of 2007.